- Body Type
- Individuals have a genetically determined natural body type. It' is unrealistic to try to conform to a shape that is a long way from your own; rather you should work with your natural body type and associated metabolic rate to obtain and maintain a healthy weight and fitness level.
- Broadly speaking, there are 3 main groups of body types, known as Ectomorph, Endomorph, and Mesomorph.
Ectomorph Mesomorph Endomorph
|Body Type||Characteristics||Exercise |
- Slim, lean, long bones.
- Low body fat.
- Low/medium muscle profile.
- Thin face, long lean legs and arms.
- Flat abdomen with hollow navel.
- Frail, delicate body structure.
- Fast metabolisms.
- Can eat a lot of food without gaining weight.
- Usually craves light foods like chicken, fish, and veggies.
- If you’re an Ectomorph, you should concentrate on gaining weight in the form of good lean muscle tissue.
- Start with light/moderate resistance training...building up gradually.
- Your aerobic and other activities should start at a slower pace until you feel comfortable and able to increase time and resistance.
- Physique is heavy, hard, and rectangular
- Muscular body type, large muscles and large prominent bones.
- Broad shoulders, large chest, long strong neck, and slender low waist. i.e. classic 'V' shape.
- Solid muscle structure and great strength.
- Adds muscle easily.
- Medium metabolism.
- Craves meats and other proteins.
- If you’re a Mesomorph you probably have a naturally fit body, but you also need to continue to exercise and eat healthy to maintain your physique.
- Resistance training shoud be done more often than someone who is an Ectomorph, but be careful not to overdo it.
- Try to take part in aerobic activities, sports, etc. 3-4 times each week.
- Rounded body type, round face, large abdomen.
- High body fat/low muscle mass percentage
- Short arms and legs with a short thin neck.
- Soft musculature with broad, thick chest and wide hips.
- Gains weight easily.
- Slow Metabolism.
- Craves carbohydrates like, potatoes, chips and chocolate.
- if you’re an Endomorph, your biggest concern should be trying to lose fat by adopting a routine that will not only help you lose excess body fat, but also help you maintain your lean muscle mass.
- Resistance training should be done to improve your muscle to fat ratio.
- Try to exercise (aerobic) 3-4 times a week e.g. a brisk walk.