- Body language portrays a person’s self-confidence. Shaking hands is a big part
- of a person’s body language. First impressions are based partly on how a
- person shakes another's hand.
Handshakes can be traced back into Ancient Egypt, to approximately 2,800 B.C, when, the right hand was used to wield a weapon. When a someone offered a clean, unarmed right hand , it is a sign of peace and goodwill. Handshakes have endured the test of time and it is still widely accepted as a form of social greeting in modern times.
As stated above, handshakes are more than simple gestures since they can embody a person’s self-confidence. Handshakes can go extremely wrong because of nervousness or excitement which can then result in moments of awkwardness, to say the least.
- There are several well-known forms of handshakes which should be avoided doing. They are:-
1) Palm Crusher
- The palm crusher is a painful handshake, which is normally unintentional.
- This can best be described as lifeless, as is such creates the impression that the individual lacks interest and sincerity.
3) Hand Sanitizer
- A handshake is a “hand sanitizer” handshake if someone: makes minimal contact with the other person’s hand; or if he overtly wipes his hand after the handshake. It often creates anger in the recipient.
- What is the correct way to shake someone's hand?
Listed below are the simple steps in making a handshake:-
• Approach the person whom you want to shake hands with
• Make eye contact with him/her
• Give him/her a warm smile
• Extend your right hand towards him/her at a comfortable angle
• When he/she extend his/her hand, grasp it until the webs of the palms meet
• Shake a few times
• Make an introduction or a greeting
• End the handshake after 3 to 4 seconds
If you are seated when someone approaches you and offers a handshake, courtesy dictates that you should stand up before shaking their hand. If you are unable to offer your right hand, offer your left instead.
A handshake is more than a simple gesture, it can leave a lasting impression. Practicing good handshaking can help you to leave the desired impression.