- Chiropractics is a branch of the healing arts concerned with human health and disease processes. Doctors of Chiropractics are physicians who consider man as an integrated being - but give special attention to spinal mechanics, musculoskeletal, neurological, vascular, nutritional, and environmental
- relationships. In simple language, Chiropractics is preventative health care.
- Doctors of Chiropractics were early pioneers of holistic health care offering an alternative to medicine through management and treatment of health disorders by employing proper lifestyles, diet, nutritional therapies, exercise, and care of the spine and nervous system.
- Does it hurt
- Generally, a chiropractic adjustment does not hurt - although there may be some minor short-term discomfort which quickly passes for most patients. You will normally find that follow-up treatments are much more pleasant, as your symptoms improve and you feel more at ease with your chiropractor.
- Are there any risks?
- Chiropractic has far fewer risks than many other treatments for your problem. Serious side effects are extremely uncommon. Very rarely, manipulation of the neck has been linked with strokes, although research shows that chiropractic is one of the safest and most effective forms of treatment available. Your British Chiropractic Association chiropractor will, of course, be happy to discuss all your concerns regarding treatment.
- Chiropractors practise in two main ways - one is to minimise the recurrence of your pain through "supportive care". The practitioner may recommend a check-up every two to six months depending on your original complaint and your lifestyle. The other approach is known as "wellness care". Here, the chiropractor may wish to check you more frequently, as well as exploring with you further ways you can enhance your wellbeing.
- Healthy diet and exercise
- Eating a healthy diet and exercising certainly help, but cannot always deal with an existing problem in the same way as chiropractic. This is because where exercise can improve the overall fitness of your body, chiropractic can target the individual problem areas that are reducing its efficiency. Your BCA chiropractor is trained and qualified to diagnose your problem, evaluate when it is appropriate to give treatment and, in particular, when not to. Your case will be assessed on an individual basis. However, no-one should become dependent on anyone treatment. If you have concerns, please discuss your treatment plan with your chiropractor.
How long will chiropractic take to work
Guidelines for medical practitioners state that spinal manipulation can help back pain, especially if carried out within the first six weeks. The longer you have been in pain, the longer it will take to heal. Your chiropractor will advise you of your likely recovery time, and how to minimise the chances of the problem happening again.
Early treatment is important but chiropractors are also effective at treating long-standing or chronic pain
- Contact Information
- British Chiropractic Association
- Blagrave House, 17 Blagrave Street, Reading, Berkshire RG1 1QB, England,