- Face Shape and Choosing the Right Hair Style
- How do you find the best hair
styles that work for you? The answer is to choose styles that accentuate your best facial features while minimizing any less favourable aspects. To do this you need to know the shape of your face.
How to determine the shape of your face.
With a tape measure or ruler, find out the shape of your face.
Take the following measurements and write your measurements down on a piece of paper.
1. Measure your face across the top of your cheekbones.
2. Measure across your jaw line from the widest point to the widest point.
3. Measure across your forehead at the widest point. Generally the widest point will be somewhere about halfway between your eyebrows and your hairline.
4. Measure from the tip of your hairline to the bottom of your chin.
There are basically seven face shapes:-
Length equals around one and a half times width. As oval is considered to be the ideal face shape it is therefore the most versatile, so nearly every hair style will look good on this face.
- Round hairline and chin line, wide face and round cheeks
If you have a round face shape, the goal here is to slim the face. Hair below the chin line should be worn with a face-lengthening centre parting.
- Straight hairline, angular jaw with wide face
Your hairstyle should try to soften the sharp angle of your jaw line and minimize a squared-off forehead look.
- Triangular or Pear
- Wide chin and narrow forehead
When choosing a style for this face shape, you should seek on a look that narrows the chin and widens the forehead to balance proportions.
- Narrow jaw line, wider at eyes
If this is your face shape, you'll want a hairstyle that extenuates the jaw line and narrows at the eyes. Heart shape faces need a softer, curly style.
- Long and slender, about the same width at forehead and just below cheekbones.
For this face shape you should add width and fullness to the sides of the face and around the eyes, cheekbones and ears.
- Forehead/cheekbones are narrow, with a wide jaw-line.
- The objective is to narrow your chin and widen your forehead. Shorter hairstyles that balance your prominent jaw line would suit you best.
- Diamond Face
- Forehead/jaw-line is narrow with wide cheekbones. Most hairstyles would suit you. To balance a narrow chin, your best look would be a rounded shape with fullness at the bottom.