2015 - The Growth Of Plus Size Fashion
The growing number of overweight and obese women in Britain has resulted in the fashion industry waking up to the fact that they represent a great opportunity to gain new customers and increase profit. In 2015 plus size women have an array of fashion options that were not available to women in past decades. The change is similar to the explosion of fashionable maternity wear that older mothers, grandmothers and previous generations of mothers could only dream of.
- Beauty Companions – Happiness & Success - July 2015
- Most of us have said or thought: “if only I
was … I’d be happier”, e.g. “if only I was taller …”” if only my skin was
lighter ….”, “if only I was beautiful…., “if only I was thinner ...”
The Little Couple - Q&A - August 2015
This article focuses on short excerpts from a Q&A episode of the TLC series ’The Little Couple’, featuring William (Bill) Klein and Jennifer (Jen) Arnold. Husband and wife couple Bill Klein and Jen Arnold both have dwarfism. Jennifer is 3 ft 2” (96.5 cm) and Bill is 4 ft tall (122 cm); Jennifer is a doctor (MD) and Bill owns a pet company.
- Fat Shaming - Different Viewpoints - September 2015
- Fat related abuse is a fact of life for a lot of overweight
Viewpoint of an overweight/obese woman: "My husband supports me in whatever size I want to be. He says he’ll always love me for who I am. It can be a bit of a pain; when I go out to a restaurant and I can't sit in the seat or when I go on an aeroplane and I have to order two seats”.
- Beautifulpeople - October 2015
- In this article we will recount a conversation that Emma (who we met last month) had with Greg Hodge, founder of the website Beautifulpeople.com. “We've democratised beauty” said Greg*. “Essentially how it works, is that [you post] a picture and a profile, which is then voted on by existing members of the opposite sex, based on whether or not they find you attractive”.
- How young is too young to have cosmetic surgery? - November 2015
- Anyone over the age of 18 can legally opt to have cosmetic surgery/procedures. There is growing concern that teenagers and young women are choosing surgery/procedures at a younger and younger age.
- Models: Catwalk to Downing Street - December 2015
- The health and weight of catwalk models has been in the headlines for several years. For models to pressure to be a certain size and shape is very real. Recently, the conflict between models and the fashion industry reached the doorsteps of Downing Street, in the form of a campaign lead by aspiring model 23-year-old Rosie Nelson.
February 2015 - How Weight Affects Work
The health benefits of being within the normal weight range are often touted, but there are other less evident benefits such as financial. There is an increasing amount of data that points to the fact the weight can negatively impact employment opportunities; obese individuals are less likely to find employment.
March 2015 - Stuck On Benefits
Currently, if you are unable to work due to problems related to alcohol, drugs or obesity, you are able to claim employment support of £108.15 per week. This week the government pushed the following question into the public arena: should people with problems like those outlined have their benefits stopped or reduced if they fail to tackle/seek help to solve their problem.
April 2015 - How Websites Influence Self
Harm & Eating Disorders
The number of young people who are self harming is rising. Last year 38,000 teenagers were admitted to hospital for self harm injuries. The numbers seeking help for eating disorders has also risen; up 110% over the last three years. One in four people (at least) with an eating disorder also self harm. Channel 4’s recent documentary, ‘My Self Harming Nightmare’, highlighted the plight of three young women, Becky, Charlotte and Chrissie.
The Pressure To Remain Fat - May 2015
Last weeks disagreements between bloggers; linked by the fact that they and the majority of their followers are overweight, was interesting to say the least.
The argument brought to light the facts that: i) Not every overweight plus size blogger wants to remain that way and ii) Not everyone is happy to see others lose weight; in fact they would prefer them to remain overweight and part of the ‘group’.
Being Beautiful - Pros & Cons - June 2015
Below are two videos and their transcripts presenting i) a serious and ii) a tongue in cheek talk focused on the pros and cons of being beautiful.